Whew, this is one hell of a weekend here in the City of Roses. While Seattle celebrates the comic book industry with Emerald City Comic Con (and TFAW starts their Choose Your Own Adventure Interview Quest), we back in Portland still have plenty of fantastic events!
First, Saturday, March 13 from 3pm to 6pm at the Interstate Firehouse Cultural Center – Show your skills and impress the Famous Scott Dally and Dan Clark for your shot at a part in Stripperland! Be a part of Portland pop culture history as Cheezy Flicks does their darnedest (and goriest) attempt at becoming the West Coast Troma Films. Don’t need to be a stripper to audition for part in Stripperland. Indeed, they need everyone that isn’t a stripper to audition at the Interstate Firehouse Cultural Center this Saturday from 3pm to 6pm.
Prepare for glory the likes of which that haven’t been seen since Thor brought all his fellow Asgardians back from Ragnarok! Saturday, from 7pm till…? PDXYar.org presents Pirates of the Cursed Seas Grand Finale – Hosted at Guardian Games. This is more than just a league championship between the PotCS players. Oh no. This is a party to end all parties. Straight from the Captain’s Log:
To the crew,
Ye are hereby formally invited to bear witness to this final game in the PDXYAR “Pirates of the Cursed Seas” League. Join our seventeen League players as they sail their fleets once more into battle. This evening is destined to be remembered in legend and song, as one of our brethren will be crowned as the PDXYAR League Champion and Pirate Lord!
Yer price of admission is $18 per player. $10 if ye just want to eat, drink and socialize.
– The $18 ticket includes: 4 sealed packs of “Pirates of the Cursed Seas”, pizza, drinks (+ grog after the store officially “closes”), 1 raffle ticket
– The $10 ticket includes: pizza, drinks (+ grog…)
And now, an F.A.Q. of sorts…
What is this?
– A night of pirate gaming, celebration and lamentation (but only by the losing pirates)
Ok, but I don’t know how to play!
– Welcome aboard mate! Since this is a sealed game (all players will be starting out with only the ships & crew in their packs), you’ll be on an even keel with every other pirate in attendance. You’ll be at a table with other new players and seasoned vets, which makes this the perfect time to ask questions and learn about the game!
Should I dress like a pirate?
– YAR! Yer garb (or “costume”) will surely fit in with the rest of us scallywags.
How old should I be?
– Well the store “officially” will allow non-adult-types (i.e. those under 21) until they close. After that, ye need to have yer current letter-of-marque (valid ID proving yer age) to stay. The gaming (and other festivities) will be going well into the evening. That means, no powder monkeys fer this event. Sorry.
I’m in the League! When do I get my prize?!
– ALL League players will receive their final rank and prize during an awards ceremony at the end of the game. Those of you who show up just to play for the evening will also receive a special parlay from PDXYAR.
Oooh, a raffle! What are the prizes/how do I buy more tickets?
– Additional raffle tickets will be available during the evening for $1 each. Our generous sponsors have been filling the ship’s stores with donations. A full list of raffle prizes will be posted before the day of the event. You can expect a bounty of pirate swag, gaming swag and pirate gaming swag to be raffled off. You’ll want in on this one… trust me
– EDITORS NOTE – While I usually recommend you don’t trust a Pirate, I gotta’ agree on this one. I know for a fact your friendly neighborhood Things From Another World donated some stellar prizes for the raffle – Damn near $300 worth of fine pirate statues! Statues like this:
All the money raised goes to PDXYar.org and the events they do for the community. Like I’ve said in the past, they’re like the legendary 501st, but with better aim and huge hats!
Finally, all weekend long – From Friday to Monday – All the Oregon Things From Another World is holding a special #NOTAGLITCH sale. You know all about Amazon.com’s massive SNAFU and the epic angering of their customers, well TFAW is here with a promise that we never mess with your orders! All weekend – Save 10% off all Action Figures – 50% off all Marvel Essential Books and some Marvel Graphic Novels – And, some select statues for a mere $8.95 –
You know, the same thing Amazon tried to sell, then had a glitch!
Like I said. Hell of a week!